I thoroughly enjoyed raising my children and I love being a grandmother (I had my first granddaughter on July 2. I am delighted to buy pink!), but my days are no longer focused on laundry, cleaning, carpooling, or even punching a clock at the office. I love working a home business and sharing essential oils and natural products with others, but I don't need to work as many hours and my hours are very flexible. I'm certainly not complaining, and am thankful for the slower pace, yet I still feel that I have energy to give and am impatient to see positive changes in the world. The purpose of my life has shifted, and the vision of the next 30 years is not in focus.
I am reminded that all change, no matter how significant, begins with one small step. So I will take these small steps each day to make the world a more loving place. Are you in this midlife shifting time of life? Or are you a young mom overwhelmed with toddlers, someone caring for aging parents, or an executive working in the corporate hustle and bustle? Whoever you are, I bet these simple steps would brighten your corner of the world too.
2) I will be a drop of joy, smiling at everyone I meet and offering a kind word.
3) I will eat my veggies! making healthier choices so I am in good, physical health and able to respond to those God brings into my life.
4) I will express gratitude each day for my blessings and for the situations that stretch me.
5) I will not focus on the negative, but will be positive and optimistic, seeing with eyes of faith all that is beautiful in the world.
6) I will be a cheerleader, motivating, supporting and encouraging those who are doing good work, giving them courage.
7) I will walk with those in pain and grief, helping as I am able, being a companion, a steady arm, on the journey.
8) I will expand my local vision, shifting some of my attention from distractions such as TV, videos, Facebook, to the needs of those around me, in my family, neighborhood or community.
Can you imagine what your family, office, community or town would be like if everyone was practicing these steps? Let's Be the Change we want to see. Let's make the world a little better today, tomorrow, and then ...